Sunday, March 27, 2011

Best Time of Year

Ahhh……March Madness. A time for me to fall behind on work, review my bracket to the point of memorization, setup two computers next to the TV and watch three games at once, wake up at 3:00 am for some phantom cheering while mastering the soft tiptoe landing ensuring I don’t awake the neighbors during celebratory leaps from the couch, and annoying the crap out of my wife with incessant talking on how Jorts may be the most surprising tournament hero since the days of Cameron Mills.

Yes, the first two rounds of the tournament are indeed my favorite four days of the year. Unless of course Kentucky loses, which turns one of those great afternoons into the worst day of the year. There is no other sporting event that even comes close to bringing me the same level of joy as March Madness.

But how is this excessive enthusiasm and love for basketball received in Australia? During a recent conversation, okay rant, with a co-worker I uttered something along the lines of, “Did you see those games this weekend! I nearly hit my head on the ceiling when Brandon Knight hit a second game winning shot; can you believe we knocked out the number one seed! And what about VCU making the elite 8, Duke getting knocked out, and Morehead St. taking down Louisville! I mean, sure, my bracket is totally screwed, but who cares! It doesn’t get any better, does it? And how lucky is Kansas to be able to reach the finals without playing a single team higher than an 8 seed! Who would have thought Butler could make a second straight Final Four? Isn’t the tournament just the best thing ever….don’t you think….it’s great right…….”

The response……“What’s a bracket?”

And so it is. My obsessive discussion of basketball will have to be directed to those on the other end of Skype and my wife when she is willing to tolerate it. I definitely miss gathering with fellow Cats fans during this time of year, but I’m lucky to be able to watch every game live from the other side of the globe. Thank you technology. And thank you Brandon Knight for putting us one win away from that Final Four appearance that has eluded us for 12 years. Go Cats.

Maybe I will be able to convert a few Aussies to college basketball fans while I’m here. After all St. Mary’s, a team with 5 Australian players, upset 2 seed Villanova on their way to the Sweet 16 last year. Until then, March in Sydney will be known as the start of footy season where teams like the Rabbitohs, Eels and Sea Eagles begin their journey towards a Telstra Premiership victory. And who knows…after my return to the States, maybe I will one day find myself waking up at 3 am to watch the Rugby League Grand Final.

No comments:

Post a Comment